Laid out in 1643 by French colonists as part of Fort Ville-Marie, the first catholic cemetery of Montréal can be seen by visitors at the Museum of Archaeology and History Pointe-à-Callière
. Part of an extensive complex of ancient structures, digging sites and layers over layers of history of the Nouvelle-France
, all forming the archaeological crypt of the museum, the cemetery is the oldest man-made structure directly associated with the founding of the city.
Most of the remains found here were from French colonists and converted Natives killed in battles against the Iroquois
and although both cultures shared the same faith, they were buried in two separate sections divided by a fence and had different burial rites.