Micro Panorama Thumbnail for Social Sharing Sites

WorldWidePanoramaPeople Events

hover for menu Water ◀ Prev Next ▶

Erik Krause

Grimsel Alpine Power Dam

George Kountouris

Methoni Castle

Southwestern end of the Peloponnese, Messenia Peninsula, Greece

9:10PM (GMT +02:00)Athens

Loading panorama viewer ...

© 2005 George Kountouris, All Rights Reserved.

Caption

Methoni Castle
Location
Methoni castle lies at the southernmost end of the west Peloponnisian coast.
Although the water (sea) surrounding the castle acts as a communication channel providing access to the port for servicing ships and transporting cargo, it was also very efficiently used so as to keep intruders/enemy ships in a safe distance without allowing them to wonder around close to the fort. This was accomplished with the creation of an underwater ditch and the construction of a damn that would allow through a very narrow opening, free passage to only a single ship at a time. Consequently when/if enemy ships approached the castle through this opening, they were dealt with one at a time, thus more efficiently as opposed to fighting many ships at the same time.

A brief historical analysis
Human presence in the area is first seen during the Middle Ages around 1700 B.C. Town existence is verified by archeology from prehistoric years and still exists in the present. Methoni castle was created probably around the beginning of the 7th century B.C. Messenian Methoni will evolve to a famous port during classical and posterior ancient times as well as during middle ages. Methoni will also take part in the Peloponnisian war and during the Hellenistic years it becomes part of the Achaian league and it is offered autonomy by the Romans. In the period between 395 A.D. and 1204 A.D. Methoni Castle was used as a Byzantine fortress. Later on Byzantium offers Venice the right of free trade in Methoni. The area was dominated by the Franks for a very short period. In 1206 Methoni was captured by the Venetians who strengthened the fortification, incorporating the pre-Christian defensive structures. In 1500 Methoni was captured by the Turk Bayazit Pasha. Again came under Venetian occupation from 1685 until 1715. Later it was for a second time dominated by the Turks who kept it under their control until 1829. In 1829 it was liberated by the French general Maison, along with other towns of the Peloponnese.

Location

Europe / Greece

Lat: 36° 49' 29" N
Long: 21° 42' 25" E

→ maps.google.com [EXT]

Precision is: Unknown / Undeclared.

OpenStreetMap: © OpenStreetMap contributors

Equipment

Cannon eos1DS/Sigma Lens/100Asa/Authoring with photoshop-Panotools
hover for menu Water ◀ Prev Next ▶

PLEASE RESPECT THE ARTIST’S WORK. All images are copyright by the individual photographers, unless stated otherwise. Use in any way other than viewing on this web site is prohibited unless permission is obtained from the individual photographer. If you're interested in using a panorama, be it for non-profit or commercial purposes, please contact the individual photographer. The WWP can neither negotiate for, nor speak on behalf of its participants. The overall site is copyright by the World Wide Panorama Foundation, a California Public Benefit Corporation.