This panorama was made at the Hungarian Railway Museum on the occasion of the "Night of Museums," midsummer eve.
These old steam engines around the turntable are history, figuratively they were the blood in the veins of Hungary for decades.
The first Hungarian railway line was opened on July 15th, 1846. The last steam engine was retired from active service on 31st December, 1984.
The Class 424 engine, nicknamed the "Buffalo," is a double-chimney machine. A total of 514 machines were produced between 1924 and 1958. Locomotive 424
is the most famous steam locomotive produced in Hungary and Class 424 is considered the best steam locomotive type of the Hungarian State Railways. 424 appears in numerous nostalgic remembrances, in literature, in the movies and as models. The 424 was a universal main line locomotive. It was used to haul heavy freight trains, stopping trains and express trains.