This is a bridge across the ancient railway line Quimper - Pont l'Abbe. Until 60 years ago it carried daily passenger and freight trains with steam locomotives from Quimper to Pays Bigouden to the fishing ports le Guilvinec and St. Guenole. Now there is a long, mostly shaded and flat, walking and bike path. The highway has only been there for about 20 years.
The line of Quimper to Pont l'Abbé Google translation
was a branch of the radial line "south" of rail service in Brittany, it allowed servicing of the important port town of Pont l'Abbé.
There is an interesting page with the train here
- April 7, 1884: Opening of the branch
July 4, 1907: Opening of the meter-gauge extension to St. Guénolé by CFDF
- May 19, 1947: End the exploitation of the extended gauge metric to standard gauge
- 1950: End of passenger service
1st July 1963: Closing the extension to St. Guénolé
- 1988: End of freight beyond the Sweet EP
August 31, 1989: Decommissioning of the section of Pluguffan in Pont l'Abbé (PK 695.190 to 706.427) 1.
The feeder line "south" of Britain, granted to the Paris-Orleans, birthplace for many branches serving the port cities fingering the Brittany coast. The branch of service to Pont l'Abbé, ranked No. 77 in the Freycinet Plan is one of them.
The branching of the radial station Quimper, all through the tunnel of Quimper, 310m long, and detaching it from its release. The junction of Pont l'Abbé moves quickly towards the south-west, bypassing the airport of Quimper in Cornwall Pluguffan, common that the line served to distance, then ran along the "transbigoudène" expressway showing the route of the former national 785. Then serving the Combrit-Tréméoc station which, despite its name, was located much closer to that of Tréméoc Combrit. She finally came to end in Gare de Pont l'Abbé, a name far from the lake formed by an enlargement ria sprinkling of the city.
Station Pont l'Abbe was also achieved in 1907 by a meter-gauge line from St. Guénolé, opened by the railways of the Finistère département, and in 1912 with a line spacing of the same from Audierne opened by the railways Armorican. The first line was of great interest to transport the oil to the hinterland, but the difference in gauge station of Pont l'Abbé required long and costly transshipment operations. Also, during the closing lines of most of these departmental networks, in 1947, it was decided to maintain the stretch Pont l'Abbe–St. Guénolé and convert it to standard gauge. The operation was performed by the OS until 1963.
The spur short length of not serving a major city, the line Quimper–Pont l'Abbé was quickly closed to passenger traffic in 1950. Freight traffic, mainly fueled by the fruit of fishermen from the ports of Cornwall, experienced significant reductions following the development of road competition, increased by the closure of the section to St. Guénolé in 1963, and concludes with closing the line to freight traffic in 1988.
Today, only the silos of the group Sweet, Pluguffan located between the airport and the road-express, are still occasionally served by diesel trains. The rest of the line is no longer used. Part of his route is used by diverticula with hiking trails numbered 34H3 and 38A4. This is a bridge across the old railway line Quimper–Pont l'Abbe.