Home of: Convocation Hall
University Hall has become a campus landmark & represents the traditional style of campus architecture. Along with Hamilton Hall, it is one of the two original academic buildings on campus.
History of McMaster University
Historically, McMaster University is the outgrowth of educational work initiated by Baptists in central Canada as early as the 1830s. Named after Senator William McMaster (1811-1887), who bequeathed substantial funds to endow "a Christian school of learning," the University was incorporated under the terms of an act of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario in 1887. The new University (housed in McMaster Hall in Toronto) offered courses in arts and theology. Degree programs began in 1890, with degrees first being conferred in 1894.
In 1930 the University moved from Toronto to Hamilton, the forty-first academic session opening on the present site. The University's lands and new buildings were secured through gifts from graduates, members of the churches of the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec, and citizens of Hamilton.
Until 1957 the Governors of the University were elected by the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec. In that year the University became a non-denominational private institution. The historic Baptist connection was continued through the separate incorporation and affiliation of a theological school, McMaster Divinity College.