Wood Structures in the ‘New World’ 1639-1649
Sainte-Marie among the Hurons, Midland, Ontario Canada
August 5, 2017 at 3:50 PM EST 15:50
Loading panorama viewer ...
© 2017 Robert Julian Agnel, All Rights Reserved.
Nikon D90, 10.5 fisheye, Nodal Ninja pole with 6 stop rotator, photoshop, ON1, PT Gui Pro, Pano2VR
- 1844 Jesuit Fr. Pierre Chazelle conducted initial site excavations.
- 1855 Father Félix Martin continued the excavations
- 1940 the Society of Jesus purchased the property where Sainte-Marie stood.
- 1941, Kenneth Kidd of the Royal Ontario Museum undertook the first scientific excavations of the site.
- 1954 Fr. Dennis Hegarty discovered the graves of Brébeuf and Lalemant.
- 1964, Sainte-Marie was reconstructed as a historical site and living museum.
- The 22 buildings and their contents are reproductions.
- Viewed from Google Earth you will see 5 centuries of transportation systems. The Wye River (17th), an abandoned railway (18-19th) now a recreational path (21st) and Ontario Highway 12. (20-21st)
Mission Buildings in the Panorama
Opening scene: panning to the right
- Bldg # 11: The Chapel
- Bldg # 10: The Refectory
- Bldg # 9: Jesuit Residence
- Bldg # 12: Cookhouse
- Bldg # 13: Farmers Dwelling and Stables
- Bldg # 14: Boivin Building, Donné Charles Boivin designed and built the wooden European structures
- Bldgs # 3-4: Soldiers’ barracks and Stone Bastions 1647
- Bldgs # 15-16: Carpenter and Blacksmith Shops
- Sainte-Marie was self sufficient in vegetables, livestock, wood and iron products