Micro Panorama Thumbnail for Social Sharing Sites

WorldWidePanoramaPeople Events Login

hover for menu Limits ◀ Prev Next ▶

Richard Wall

Ranunculus Flower Limits

Andrew Varlamov

St. Nicholas' Church on the Lipno Islet (1292)

Lipno islet, 8 km south of Veliky Novgorod, Russia

March 20, 2011, 09:48 UTC (13:48 local time)

Loading panorama viewer ...

© 2011 Andrew Varlamov, All Rights Reserved.

Caption

Every year, when the winter frost is not so hard and daylight is long enough, students and teachers of the History Department of Saint Petersburg State University gather in a group to visit this ancient church near Veliky Novgorod.

The route of their one-day trip consists of 3 parts: by bus from Saint-Petersburg to Veliky Novgorod, then by taxi to Nereditsa village (local bus runs only 2 times per day) and finally by skis over the covered-by-snow frozen surface of the river. When the trip starts at 7:00, it is possible to reach the Lipno islet by 12:30.

The church was founded in 1292 by the Order of Novgorod Archbishop Climent, it was completed in 1294 and it became the first stone church constructed in Novgorod Land after the Mongol invasion of Rus'. During the construction of the temple architects were guided by one of the last pre-Mongolian churches—Church of the Nativity at the Peryn Monastery (built in the 1230s). It is the same square church with four piers, with one dome and one apse, but bigger and wider (10x10 meters). Lésènes (applied stone strips) do not divide facades into three parts underlining internal structure of the church from four piers, they are present only at the corners.



(RU) Каждый год, когда зимний мороз ослабевает, а световой день длится достаточно долго, студенты и преподаватели исторического факультета Санкт-Петербургского государственного университетах собирают группу для поездки к церкви Николы на Липне около Великого Новгорода. Маршрут их однодневного путешествия состоит из трех частей: на автобусе от Петербурга в Великий Новгород, затем на такси до Нередицы (местный автобус ходит только два раза в день), и наконец - на лыжах по заснеженному льду реки. Если начать поездку в семь утра, то к половине первого можно добраться до острова Липны.

Строительство церкви началось в 1292 году по заказу новгородского архиепископа Климента. Каменная церковь, завершённая скорее всего в 1294, стала первым каменным храмом, построенным на Новгородской земле после монгольского нашествия на Русь. При строительстве храма зодчие ориентировались на одну из последних домонгольских церквей - церковь Рождества в Перынском скиту. Это такой же квадратный в плане, четырёхстолпный, одноглавый и одноабсидный храм, только более крупный и широкий (10х10 м). Лопатки не делят фасады на три части, подчеркивая четырехстолпную структуру церкви, а присутствуют только на углах.

Location

Europe / Russia-Urals West

Lat: 58° 26' 55" N
Long: 31° 20' 56" E

→ maps.google.com [EXT]

Precision is: Unknown / Undeclared.

OpenStreetMap: © OpenStreetMap contributors

Equipment

Camera: Pentax K20D
Lens: smc PENTAX-DA Fish-Eye 1:3.5-4.5 10-17mm ED (IF)
Tripod: BENRO A-058
Panohead: Nodal Ninja 5
PC Software: PTGui Pro 9.0.3 by New House Internet Services B.V. (dated by February 28, 2011), Pano2QTVR Pro Flash version 1.6.6 by Thomas Rauscher
hover for menu Limits ◀ Prev Next ▶

PLEASE RESPECT THE ARTIST’S WORK. All images are copyright by the individual photographers, unless stated otherwise. Use in any way other than viewing on this web site is prohibited unless permission is obtained from the individual photographer. If you're interested in using a panorama, be it for non-profit or commercial purposes, please contact the individual photographer. The WWP can neither negotiate for, nor speak on behalf of its participants. The overall site is copyright by the World Wide Panorama Foundation, a California Public Benefit Corporation.