Events: Quarter I / 2021
Q I/2020: Rise
- Themes for the other events 2021 will be announced in the WWP facebook group and the WWP mailing list.
- Shooting period is January to March 31 for Q I.
- The preparation server will be open from January 1 to March 31. You can request your own account/profile page on the server during this period.
- The new event’s site will be made public as soon as this administrative check is complete.
- There will be a Late Edit period after the first edition is made public, and a second, extended edition will be published after Late Edit is completed.
- Log in to contribute or create account
Essay for RiseNow, if some of the last few themes should have been a little too specific for you - this new theme comes with quite a wide variety of synonyms: Rise
Let’s have a quick look at the Thesaurus:
For the noun with the meaning “increase, improvement”:
acceleration, advance, ascent, boost, climb, growth, hike, increment, inflation, progress, surge, upsurge, upswing, upturn, accession, accretion, addition, advancement, aggrandizement, augmentation, breakthrough, distention, doubling, enlargement, heightening, intensification, multiplication, promotion, raise, step-up, swell, upgrade, waxing, piling up, stacking up
For the noun with the meaning “upward movement”:
ascendance, ascension, climb, ascending, climbing, lift, mounting, rise, rising, scaling, spring, clambering, take off
For the noun with the meaning “upward slope”:
acclivity, grade, gradient, incline, ramp, rise
And there are even more meanings and contexts to the word and its other grammatical forms:
- A yeast dough or a sourdough will rise, if treated properly.
- Christians believe that Christ is risen from the dead.
- The Easter Rising in Dublin in 1916 was an armed fight for Ireland's freedom.
Some of us might think of the use of the word “rise” in movies and music:
- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer – a quite important movie for all those Marvel fans.
- Rise, a 2014 film from Australia – with a remarkably low approval rating of 20%, as Rotten Tomatoes tells us – though the audience score is quite high.
- Rise, a studio album by Herb Alpert, from 1979 – trumpet players might remember.
- Rise, a Katy Perry album from 2016.
And of course, there are some organizations by that name:
- Rise, an American NGO and civil rights organization for sexual assault survivors
- RISE – Scotland's Left Alliance, a Scottish eco-socialist party
One last point: Please do forgive us if the above list is not even slightly close to being complete: That’s because there can be so many associations with that word. You could probably write an entire book on the semantic field of the word “rise”.
But luckily the World Wide Panorama is not all about semantics. So “rise and shine” and take some inspiring, surprising, irritating, astounding, beautiful panoramas for this WWP event.
Credits: Many thanks to Ed Fink - a veteran of the World Wide Panorama - for the permission to use one of his panoramas for the banner of the current event!