Partridge Island was a quarantine station, military outpost, lighthouse, and tourist attraction. It is an unprotected National and Provincial Historic Site, sits at the entrance to Saint John Harbour.
Partridge Island is the site of the first quarantine station in Canada, established for this purpose in 1785, but not used for this until 1816. The first hospital was not built until 1830. It received its largest influx of immigrants in the 1840s during the Great "Irish Potato Famine", when a shortage of potatoes occurred because of potato blight striking Ireland's staple crop, causing millions to starve to death or otherwise emigrate, mainly to North America. During the famine, some 30,000 immigrants were processed by the island's visiting and resident physicians, with 1196 dying at Partridge Island and the adjacent city of Saint John John during the Typhus epidemic of 1847.
A light station was erected on Partridge Island and began operating in 1791. A working Lighthouse is still on the Island.
The world's first steam operated fog alarm was built and used on the island in 1859.
Partridge Island was Saint John's principal military fortification from 1800 until 1947. It was the only Saint John fortification to be used during all periods of Saint John's military activity. On the island today are visible the remains of the Royal Artillery gun battery of 1812, and of both World Wars One and Two.
Boat tours operated to the island from 1982 until 1995 when the island's small museum closed. The island is currently closed to public, but a committee is established to see if it has current tourism potential.
More information: http://sjwaterfront.com/partridge-island.html
Panoramic Tour: http://photocreations.ca/Partridge_Island