This section of Old Route 66 cement is 78 years old and is one of the few remaining sections of Arizona 66 where the original Portland Cement rebuild laid in 1939 can be seen. Previous to the concrete, this section was paved with asphalt in the 1920s.
Over the years, most sections of remaining concrete have been covered with an asphalt lift to smooth the surface but this section has been maintained in its original concrete surface with minor smoothing of the slab joints.
Route 66 in this area was the major traffic corridor from it's designation as US Route 66 in 1926 until the 1970s when it was bypassed by Interstate 40 to the South. This section has continued to provide local access as a Coconino County road since then.