Texas Spring Xeriscape - Texas Autumn Sage
The seven principles of Xeriscape are:
1. Planning and Design: - Our garden area was planned and developed by a licensed Landscape Architect.
2. Soil Improvements: Much of the black clay was removed and replaced with soils suitable for proper drainage.
3. Efficient Irrigation: The garden area incorporates suitable sprinkler heads at proper height for best coverage.
4. Zoning of Plants: Plant criteria required that all plantings be 'Evergreen' meaning they are freeze tolarant and stay green all year around. Some are fruit bearing for birds including humming birds, mocking birds and butterfly food source, The annual flowering plants bloom in seasonal cycles, Spring, Summer, Fall and winter. So there is always some flowering color all year around.
5. Mulches: Hardwood Mulch from East Texas provide soil additives and do degrading to rich soil over time.
6. Turf Alternatives: Part of the end product was to reduce the turf area (grass) by 50%. Thereby, reducing the area and time needed to mow the yard and spend more time enjoying the garden. The other 50% area is the pool and planting beds.
7. Appropriate Maintenance: Water system is regulated with a wireless (read controlled by smart phone). The digital system timer sets 12 zone by time and a rain shut off device (city required).
Green is good.