In the Abbey lived and worked a so-called contemplative monastic community where prayer was central. The first settlement in Tegelen happened in 1884, when there were some monks settled on the "Uelingsheide" as "overflow" for the Belgian abbey of Westmalle.
They built there a farm, and earned their living by cultivating the surrounding land.Then an associated monastery in 1933 was elevated to abbey. Also in 1898 the Westmalle wine trade was adopted.The ask for other wines extended the product range further. The monks also developed a number of exclusive monastery liqueurs. This became the basis for their company's
name of "Wijnstekerij Uelingsheide" and In addition to Dutch and Belgian customers exports grew to other European countries. The present church and the guest quarters date from 1928, but there were innovations made in the years 1966-1968. During World War II, the complex was hit by stray bombs and three wings of the building were destroyed. After the war they were rebuilt in a different style.
Due to aging of the monastic community these have left the large complex.The small outbuilding, the small Abbey called, is still regularly visited by some monks and there are also guests.
Today, a community and a recycling center of Emmaus Phoenix is located in the complex. Even now one can as a visitor retire to silence and reflection for some time.
In addition one has the opportunity to walk in the nearby vale.
The inhabitants of the Emmaus Group are now sometimes labeled as "new monks" . With their slogan "Living together, working together, sharing together" for "Those who have less",they are not far away from the tradition of the Trappists.
Source: Wiki- Abdij Ulingsheide.
BTW The hands of the clock are no longer accurate.