Porta San Niccolò is part of the walls of Florence and is located in Piazza Giuseppe Poggi, in Oltrarno. Due to its isolated, massive and slender appearance today it looks more like a tower (even if in the past all the gates of Florence were like this).
Its name derives from the adjacent district of San Niccolò, in the eastern part of Oltrarno, and was built 1324, perhaps by Andrea Orcagna or by Arnolfo di Cambio, with the works on the last circle of walls. Unlike all the other gates of the city walls, it was not lowered in the sixteenth century, because the hill of San Miniato offered it natural protection from the blows of the artillery: today it is therefore the only Florentine gate that retains its original height. These walls were, in the main, destroyed in the 19th century as a project of urban renewal, Risanamento, in part led by Giuseppe Poggi. This tower was spared, in part because of its panoramic view of the city.
Climbing over San Niccolò gate allows visitors to have a perspective of the city similar to that seen from Piazzale Michelangelo but close up, being inside the city,