Currently open for contribution:
Cities - The World Wide Panorama: January 1 – March 31, 2024
20 Years of the World Wide Panorama: no timeframe
Next EventQuarter I/2024: Cities
Quarter II/2024: to be announced
Quarter III/2024: to be announced
Quarter IV/2024: Best Of 2024
Additional 20th anniversary events
Year-long event: 20 Years
Wrinkle reissue: March equinox 03:06 UTC MAR 20
Wrinkle reissue: June solstice 20:51 UTC JUN 20
Wrinkle reissue: September equinox 12:44 UTC SEP 22
Wrinkle reissue: December solstice 09:21 UTC DEC 21
- Themes for the events 2024 will be announced in the WWP facebook group and the WWP mailing list.
- Shooting period is January 1 to March 31.
- The preparation server will be open from January 1 to March 31. You can request your own account/profile page on the server during this period.
- The new event’s site will be made public as soon as this administrative check is complete.
- There will be a Late Edit period after the first edition is made public, and a second, extended edition will be published at need.
- Log in to contribute or create account
Photography and uploading January 1 to March 31, 2024, live on April 1
Essay by Erik Krause
"A city is a human settlement of a notable size." says wikipedia and also knows that the number of people living in urban areas has exceeded the number of people living in rural areas since around 2018 - depending on how you count. It is not clearly and generally defined where the threshold lies. We won't do that either and leave it up to you to decide whether your hometown is a city or not. Ultimately, it depends on how it feels.
But the term city is also used in other contexts. There are dozens of "cities of rocks", ant colonies are sometimes called cities, even megalopolises, and there are many other ambiguities. wikipedia lists a few.
As an anniversary celebration, there is a year-long event with 4 or may be 8 slots per contributor. There is neither a timeframe nor a theme for this event, but we require you to either
- re-shoot an old WWP panorama. It doesn't matter whether you or someone else published it on the WWP, just pick one. In any case, please link to the old panorama. The goal is to show the changes since the last shot.
- contribute one of your best panoramas from the past 20 years, not yet published on the WWP. In this case, please provide a story with a short explanation, why you think it's one of your best. We always love good stories and even more good panoramas!
Wrinkle reissue: Equinoxes and solstices
The "Wrinkle in time" was the first collaborative panorama shooting event and predecessor of the World Wide Panorama. As an anniversary tribute, we will organize an event in the tradition of the original "wrinkles": Shooting must take place within 12 hours before or after the respective equinox or solstice. In the following week you can process and upload your images, publishing will be after that.
March Wrinkle reissue
Shooting time will be from March 19, 15:06 UTC to March 21, 15:06 UTC. Please use a UTC calculator to calculate your local time. Uploading will be possible for two weeks, published shortly after.
PLEASE RESPECT THE ARTIST’S WORK. All images are copyright by the individual photographers, unless stated otherwise. Use in any way other than viewing on this web site is prohibited unless permission is obtained from the individual photographer. If you're interested in using a panorama, be it for non-profit or commercial purposes, please contact the individual photographer. The WWP can neither negotiate for, nor speak on behalf of its participants. The overall site is copyright by the World Wide Panorama Foundation, a California Public Benefit Corporation. Webdesign © by Martin Geier www.geiervisuell.com